Friday, November 18, 2005

When it Rains it Pours

So yes, Malawi is in a drought, as was my social life, but now with one simple phone call my life has changed. I was introduced to a very kind missionary family who invited me to their welcome/ introductions party in Zomba, where people meted, greeted and feeded. It was great reminded me of a slightly scaled down version of a high tea. This gathering was intense as suddenly I felt as if I was in Canada again. There were at least 50 people there and all of them were Muzungos…some were Canadian some were, American and others were German. It was incredible there were little white blonde hair, blue eyed children neatly dressed in white dresses or trousers running about with biscuits in their hands, people milling around the dining room filling their small plates with baked goods and other treats and at the center of it all was a table with soft drinks, real juices and freshly Brewed coffee! I was beside myself the whole day….what was going on? Where did all these people hide? How did I miss such a large population of Muzungos? Well it turned out that all of them lived in Zomba, and some of them even talked about how I should move there aswell.
That event led to another where I stayed over at a nice Canadian women’s almost mansion of a house and had drinks with a slightly younger more single crowd. That event led to me somehow being invited to Cape Mc Clear, a brillant part of Lake Malawi, which inletted into a nice secluded beach side area. Which finally led me to a camping weekend at Zomba plateau, where we climbed and scurried up a mountain and enjoyed gorgeous views of Zomba. So since that day my life has been very busy, over used text messaging, minibus rides here and there, dinner parties, drinks and socializing!














Here we are after our killer hike of Zomba Plateau; Then the trip to Cape Mc Clear where we canoed Malawi style! Most of these people are forigned aid workers, some are researchers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home