Monday, October 03, 2005

Prelouge

Its May of 2005 and I have finally taken the plunge. I stopped talking about what I wish I could do and just decided to do it. You see since I graduated University I had planned on doing many things, teaching English in Japan, applying for a masters program, working in international development or something of the sort. None of my plans included social services and Hamilton, which is where I ended up. Living at home was part of one of my plans, what could be sweeter than mom’s cooking, but I never expected it to last 2 years nor did I think I would become settled. Unfortunately that is how I started feeling, settled. So naturally I started freaking out, internally of course, I was nearly 25 and working in a job that I didn’t exactly choose (it more chose me) and wasn’t sure of where my life was going. So then in one fowl swoop I quit my job, which was difficult, said good-bye to the family, equally as difficult, and packed my bags. The summer that followed, had me globe trotting from Kenya, to Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Australia and even Japan. I learned a lot about myself and my heritage on this trip. Met some fantastic people including some family memebers that I had never visually connected with before. The trip was basically the breath of fresh country air that I needed after spending so much time in a cooped up apartment in the city.

0 Comments:

<< Home