Friday, November 18, 2005

Doubting Thomas

My Coworker (Mrs. Kananji) has been telling me that I will meet others…I on the other hand didn’t see how this was possible as the only “Muzungos” (white/ foreigners) I’d seen were in Lilongwe, the capital city, and were more than 4 hours away. We went on like this for nearly a week and then finally she introduced me to some Japanese (JICA) volunteers that are working with Malawi Institute of Education in the area. Their names are Isa and Nita and they have turned out to be my saving grace from boredom. Most nights I run over to Isa’s house and we cook dinner or go to play volley ball with the local children, or do aerobics with the local women. Isa is great! She has been here for over a year and she has really emerged herself into the community. There is a group of kids that come by her house everyday and borrow soccer balls, or watch cirque de sole on Isa’s laptop or borrow some other game she may have for them. And the local women seem really eager to get fit and often ask Isa to run an aerobics class. The best times, in aerobics, is when the kids come in to join and run about doing over exaggerating moves trying to out do eachother, and then they tucker out and start messing about. I don’t think I can ever go back to normal aerobics now.

I really admire Isa’s work here with the community, and find that she is able to be friendly and integrate without losing her personal space or privacy. She really has it figured out. Nita is great as well. He’s been here for only a few months but seems to be doing well. He does video stuff for the education institute and always seems to be playing with some sort of gadget or peering at me confusedly thru his 3 inch stylish glasses. His English is not as good as Isa’s and he just seems a little more apprehensive to try and communicate without knowing the exact translation.But we’re starting to get used to each other and he’s loosening up a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home